Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Beginning

Well, I never thought I'd have a blog. I am using this as a way to hold myself accountable. I want to lose weight and by golly, I am determined to do whatever I can to do it. As my first post, I'd like to disclose a little bit about myself.

I am a 21 y/o college student. I currently working towards becoming an RN. I will also have a minor in Spanish, unless I study abroad again, in which case I will have a major in Spanish along with Nursing. I am involved in a co-ed honors fraternity called Phi Sigma Pi. With the help of this organization and college in general, I gained a more self-confidence than I ever had in high school. College proved to be a place for me to fit in. I was one of many "bigger" girls, as opposed to high school where I felt like 1 of 5 "bigger" girls (it was a small private school). I am an only child and my family means the world to me.

I think that covers enough about me, on to the reason I want to lose the weight. I have always been a chubby girl. Although as a kid, I noticed it alot less. High school rolled around and I began to notice that in my school I was one of few girls who were chubby. It was disheartening. I had low self-esteem. I wouldn't say that it stopped me from having fun and making friends, because I did both of those things. (I have some of the best friends a girl could ask for.) So like I said, I had fun and I made friends but I never really branched out and I ALWAYS cared about what people thought. I could go into more detail but I think you get the point, chubby high school girl with low self-esteem.

So, I graduate. I move off to college. (A whopping 45 min from home.) Who would have thought that I would find self-confidence here?! I loved/love college. I met so many different people. I would walk around campus and think, "Wow, I blend in here. I feel like I don't stand out as the token fat girl." I joined the aforementioned organization and my self-confidence sky-rocketed. I enjoyed my life and everything in it. I was cute and fun and people liked me. The weight was still there but with the added self-confidence, it didn't seem quite as bad.

Cut to now. I am still heavy. I'm 5'4" and if we're getting technical, I'm obese for my height. When I look in the mirror, I don't see obese. I see what I have loving come to call "pleasantly plump". I have always, always wanted to lose a significant amount of weight and really feel like my inside matches my outside. I consider myself to be attractive and I can only imagine how much better I'd feel about myself if I lost 60 pounds. (Not to mention how good I'd look in some skinny jeans and stilettos!)

So, I'm 5'4" and I weigh.....well, I weigh about 210 pounds which I am ashamed to say. Sometime I feel like that number is not right. When I look in the mirror, I think, "201? Really?" To some I am sure I look that heavy, to myself and my amazing friends I don't look quite that heavy. So starting tomorrow, Monday, I plan on changing my lifestyle. Healthier food choices, more exercise, and sigh, no soda. I will post pictures along the way.

Here's to what I hope will be the beginning of a weight loss journey that will lead to a happier, healthier me.

3 comments:

  1. I searched for other bloggers in/near Warrensburg and stumbled upon yours. I think it's great that you have the balls to put your real weight. You go girl. With the right mind set I'm sure you can accomplish the weight loss you want. Just search out those close companions who will motivate you to move forward. Keep it up.

    I know I feel a bit more organized when I blog about my day. So use it as your weight loss tool. Don't give up. Keep blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been trying to lose weight as well and i have lost about 20lbs in 3 weeks. its very hard especially live in a college town. good luck

    ReplyDelete